Wednesday, November 14, 2012

4235 Stonefall Way: With Admiration, Gratitude, and Humility




I started working on this house after realizing I had altered my main neighborhood so much that the couple who lived there, no longer really could.  I wanted something rustic I could place in Chain  Bay, so I took what I thought was the easy way out and downloaded a beautiful lot from ideas4sims.  All I can say now is, don't do that.  If you know you will need to alter something you think is gorgeous, it's very hard to accomplish.  I couldn't use the beautiful lot the way it was, but I didn't want to ruin it.  I agonized over every change.  It would have been easier to build it from scratch.  

It's been an interesting challenge, though.  It's fascinating to get an indepth look at how someone extremely talented uses space, elevations, rooflines and texture.  I will never be able to create something so lovely.  

Anyway, here is my version of Shutter Island - Gift for Antonella.  Ninety-nine percent of the wonderful clutter has been removed simply because it was too much for my game and because it interfered with some functionality.  The house has been enlarged slightly.  I had to alter the roof line (my major regret) and repurpose some of the rooms.  The tropical landscaping has been replaced because Chain Bay is north by northwest, miles and miles from everything that is South Beach.    

I'm going to go long here because I can, and because I think I need to do it.  I started writing this saga years ago on TSR with one of those typical 'Don Lothario Gets Married' things.  The ingame birth of Don's son Gabe was one of my first experiences with characters who confound you.  I didn't particularly like Gabe, but I recognized there was something there I didn't expect.  

Then there was Rafe.  I still remember the day he aged up and I sat back and stared and thought,  DAMN.  What on earth is this?   His march across my psyche coincided with meeting Gayl whose powerful writing and graphic vision knocked me completely sideways.   I've never gotten over either of them.

So.  We've all moved on, and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do from here on out, but I want to thank Gayl, everyone who ever challenged and helped me, the talented creators of lots like this, and the characters who leap out, unbidden, and will not leave you alone.


The Exterior: I tried not to ruin it



Little Great Room









Living Room




Master bedroom and ensuite




Attic bedroom






8 comments:

  1. That is absolutely gorgeous. "Rustic" is a decorating style I really struggle with and I never thought of interpreting it in a more eclectic way, like you've done here. The little great room, the living room and the little study nook are my favourite parts.

    "If you know you will need to alter something you think is gorgeous, it's very hard to accomplish. I couldn't use the beautiful lot the way it was, but I didn't want to ruin it. I agonized over every change. It would have been easier to build it from scratch."

    So true! I downloaded an amazing house for my Audrey and Jack and it took me forever to decorate it, because I didn't want to "ruin" it. I think I ended up being absolutely ruthless and gutting it completely, or else I was just never going to get it done. I'm happy with the house now but it killed me at the time! I'm so glad someone else feels that way about downloaded houses sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point I thought I was going to build a place in the middle of the mountains, so I looked at a lot of ideas. I think it's the color of the place, and using the outside as inspiration rather than some set of rules for what you have to put inside.

      It is hard as hell to take a lot you admire and download, but you have to change it and that means tearing it apart. I worried about every single change, and I am so glad I am not the only one! It was so hard to do. I kept thinking I was ruining a piece of art.

      Delete
  2. I love LOVE every inch of it. No one I know can interpret what will work in design and structure the way you do. You created a masterpiece that will be timeless. A haven for the couple that inhabit it.

    I can't thank you enough for everything. I have to second everything you said in your post. Sometimes you can't explain how things happen but they happen for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a very rudimentary set of sim building skills, and I guess at this point I'm not all that interested in learning how to use CFE and some of the advanced stuff. But it definitely limits what I can do. This lot was so tightly built, it was almost impossible to change the spaces without destroying the roof, which would have destroyed the way the house looks. I would have preferred to include a larger bathroom instead of the kind of strange ensuite arrangement, but there is just nowhere to put it.

      And maybe sometimes things do happen like that.

      Delete
  3. Beth, have you ever considered going into interior decorating? If I had a more permanent residence than my dorm room, I would pay you a ridiculous amount of money to decorate it.

    Simwise or storywise, whatever you choose to do, I'm sure it'll be the right choice for you. I keep looking at your shots and thinking there's absolutely no way someone could pull that off if their heart wasn't in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Van, I got the biggest laugh! Thank you! No, I really haven't considered that. Back before the housing market collapsed, there were quite a number of places around here that offered those services but they're probably all out of business now.

      The next big thing is supposed to be ceilings, though. Orange ceilings. Bright orange ceilings. Paint your dorm room ceiling bright orange...

      Thank you so much. Your support has meant a lot to me. I hope to be able to buy your novels sometime in the near future!

      Delete
  4. It's incredibly stunning! It looks so real and there is so much clutter, lol!

    Your pictures are gorgeous and I cannot decide which room is my favorite. The attic bedroom, the master with ensuite, the living room where I just want to cozy up on that couch and read a book for a whole afternoon. lol The little great room is fabulous. Everything looks as though it's exactly where it should be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I love that house and it was a pleasure to work with it, although it turned out to be difficult and frequently frustrating. I'm not very good with clutter so that was one of the hardest things to pull off!

      Delete